The Division of Student Life has a mission to foster intellectual, cultural, social, and emotional development of students by providing a climate conducive to learning and personal growth, enabling them to become fully productive members of a global community. As such, the division is looking for individuals to be a part of the Student Life family who can help elevate and enhance that mission through creativity and innovation. Visit our HR website for more information on available positions.
Benefits of Working in the Division of Student Life
- Student-focused working environment
- Access to professional development opportunities
- Commitment to cross-department collaboration
- Access to continued education
- Dedication to creativity and innovation through the Journey to the Top 25
ABOUT KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE – “THE SCRUFFY LITTLE CITY”
In 1980, the Wall Street Journal published a skeptical story in response to the selection of Knoxville, Tennessee, as the location for the 1982 World’s Fair. The article was entitled, “What If You Gave a World’s Fair and Nobody Came?” It scoffed Knoxville as “A scruffy little city of 180,000 on the Tennessee River.” When the World’s Fair ended on October 31, 1982, after receiving more than 11 million visitors, Knoxville proved the Wall Street Journal wrong. Decades later, the “Scruffy Little City” name is fully embraced by citizens, and serves as a platform for community pride and local empowerment.
“Knoxville is so close to everything. If you want the mountains or the city or anything in between, we pretty much have it. One of the best descriptions I have ever heard of Knoxville is that it is an Appalachian metropolis. While we are not the biggest city, we have a lot of cosmopolitan things to offer as well as the outdoor activities. I also love that we are so close to other great cities including Atlanta, Chattanooga, and Nashville.” -Sam Jackson, Hall Director
Knoxville offers a perfect blend of small-town Southern charm and big-city opportunities. The metropolitan area was ranked the best place to live in the United States and Canada among cities with a population of fewer than 1 million. The ranking came from the Millennium edition of Places Rated Almanac. The results confirmed what most in this area have known for a long time – Knoxville is one of the best cities in the country!
- Knoxville overview: http://www.utk.edu/aboutut/knoxville/
- Events calendar: http://www.visitknoxville.com/content/events-calendar
- Visitors guide: http://www.visitknoxville.com/request-visitors-guide
- City maps: http://www.cityofknoxville.org/map/list.asp
- Knoxville Chamber: http://www.knoxvillechamber.com/
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of East TN: http://www.hccet.org/
- Knoxville area hospitals: http://www.cityofknoxville.org/newcomers/hospitals.asp
- Knox County Schools: http://www.knoxschools.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
- Knoxville Area Association of Realtors: http://www.kaarmls.com
- Knoxville Apartment Guide: http://knoxvilleapartmentguide.com/
- Child care assistance: http://www.tnccrr.org
- Beck Cultural Center http://www.beckcenter.net/
- Knoxville Area Transit bus system: http://www.katbus.com
- Local news
Please note: this is not a comprehensive list, please visit http://hr.utk.edu/ or call 856-946-8847 to receive full details.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Deferred compensation, educational assistance, flexible benefits, long-term disability, and sick leave bank
- Links to various discount opportunities
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee discounts
All open positions can be found on the Human Resources Website.
- Begin by contacting Human Resources to ensure you have the appropriate qualifications for the selected position
- When applying, make sure you include the following things:
- Tailored cover letter
- Professional resume
- Three professional references, one of which is preferably your most recent supervisor
- Contact the search chair and/or hiring manager and express your interest in and qualifications in the position
- Research the department’s mission, structure, and programming (if applicable) before interviewing
- Follow up any interview with a thank you note