The Professional Development Committee supports the Division of Student Life Strategic Goal 5: Support division staff’s ability to be effective in their respective roles.
The committee strives to enhance professional enrichment opportunities by providing staff development initiatives, events, presentation, and programs on a variety of topics.
- Enhance professional competencies to better serve students
- Connect individuals across the Division formally and informally
- Facilitate opportunities for professional and personal success
- Provide opportunities for professional assessment and reflection
- Educate staff on national and regional trends within Student Affairs
Areas of development:
- Diversity, Cultural Responsibility, and Inclusion
- Skill Development
- Ethical Professional Practice
Tyger Glauser, Assistant Director for Center of Student Engagement, co-chair
Laura Bryant, Assistant Director for Center for Heath Education & Wellness, co-chair
The Division of Student Life Professional Development Committee is charged by the Vice Chancellor for Student Life to provide professional development opportunities for staff. The committee is responsible for planning and executing the following developmental programs each semester:
- Two (2) educational programs related to our work in student life or higher education
- One (1) social program with the goal of developing team unity and spirit
- One (1) community service program with the goal of providing an opportunity to have staff involved with local service.
Additionally, the committee is responsible for leading the effort to plan and execute the Professional Development Day, which is held annually during the spring semester.
VOL Breakfast Series
March 23rd, 2016 – 8am
Brown Hall Multipurpose Room
The VOL Breakfast Series allows Student Life staff and graduate assistants to give 15 min presentations about their content areas. These talks can cover trends in higher education, research and assessments being conducted nationally or locally, updates from new department programs and initiatives, or a chance to share upcoming conference presentations.
The Division of Student Life Professional Development Committee encourage you and your staff to join us to learn from our colleagues!
The Division of Student Life invites all exempt staff, non-exempt staff, and graduate assistants to consider submitting a proposal for a 15 min presentation for future series! This is a great chance to share information about your area, or help you prepare for a professional conference.
To submit a proposal to speak at one of the upcoming VOL Breakfasts, please click here.
To view past presentations, please click here.
Save the dates for the summer series: Wednesday, May 11th, July 13th & August 3rd.