by Bonnie Johnson, Pride Center coordinator
Happy LGBTQ+ History Month! I wanted to share the Pride Center’s upcoming events, many happening in partnership with amazing colleagues and departments across campus. Our programming this month seeks to highlight the resiliency, challenges, playfulness, power, and history of the LGBTQ+ community here in Knoxville and beyond.
- Tuesday, October 8: Taking Mental Health Out of the Closet with Active Minds – 6 p.m. in SU 362A/B
- Wednesday, October 9: Knoxville’s Queer History with the Voices Out Loud Project – 6:30 p.m. browse session on the 1st floor of Hodges, 7:30 p.m. program in the Lindsey Young Auditorium
- Friday, October 11: National Coming Out Day Ice Cream Social – 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. in the Strong Hall Atrium
- Wednesday, October 23: Intergenerational Dialogues in the LGBTQ+ Community with the Commission for LGBT People – 12 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. in SU 362A/B
- Wednesday, October 23: “But I’m a Cheerleader” (2000) outdoor film screening with WGS and Cinema Studies – 7 p.m. at HSS Amphitheater (rain location is McClung Tower, room 1210)
- Thursday, October 24: Monthly LGBTQ+ and Ally Graduate Student Mixer – 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Mary Greer Room, Hodges Library
- Wednesday, October 30: Take Pride in Your Resume: a career readiness workshop with the Center for Career Development – 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in SU 262B/C (register on Handshake)
I also want to give a plug to the Diversity Dialogues Symposium hosted by the Office of Multicultural Student Life and their Diversity Educators program happening on Friday, October 25. Register here by October 14. I hope to see you at one of our events this month!