Number of Vacancies: 1
Department Website: fyp.utk.edu
Department Mission Statement: To work in partnership with students, staff, and faculty to accomplish more successful transitions for all students to the University of Tennessee by engaging them in personal and academic growth programs, navigating campus resources, building meaningful connections with others, and prioritizing well-being.
- Flexibility in the scheduling of work hours (must be available some evening hours and occasional weekends);
- 20 hours a week during Fall and Spring
- Must be available in Summer between June 1-Beginning of Fall Semester
- Positive attitude and a sincere desire to help students
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including attention to detail and accuracy, effective email communication, phone, and group presentation skills
- Classroom experience teaching or other close work with student desired
- Event planning, workshop, and programming experience
- Organized and possesses the ability to balance multiple programs
- Professional demeanor for a leadership position with significant student contact, as well as maturity to function as a staff member in a university office
- Ability to work both independently as well as with supervisors, co-workers, students, and the university community
- Undergraduate/Graduate experience in a leadership role preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (esp. Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Canvas
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Attends and contributes to First-Year Programs’ staff meetings
- Completes bi-monthly one-on-one meetings with area assistant director
- Attends and participate in divisional committees and meetings as required
- Assist with hiring of summer counselors and TRNS 201 peer mentors during spring 2022
- Function as coordinator for TRNS 201 Peer Mentor Coordinators/Peer Mentors and Summer Counselors
- Meet with FYP student leaders and lead both TRNS 201 Peer Mentors and Summer Counselors (Training will be provided).
- Assist with preparation for summer programs, including marketing and outreach, housing, dining, social program planning, and other logistics.
- Assist in the creation and distribution of invitations
- Assist with housing coordination
- Assist with coordinating dining logistics
- Participate in weekly / monthly planning meetings
- Assist with the delivery of programs, events, and activities during summer programs (late July to early August) such as move-in, move out, and some weekend activities
- Assist with data collection and assessment of summer programs
- Assist with survey distribution and data collection/analysis
- Tuition Waiver plus $1,325/month stipend for 10 months; paid hourly up to $1,325/month during required summer hours.
- Health Insurance beginning August 1, 2021
- This is a 12-month Graduate Teaching Assistant position, beginning June 1, 2021, and ending on May 31st, 2022 (at will). Off on student holidays except for winter break and summer break. Winter break will begin after commencement, pending finalizing reports.
- In being a 50% appointment, you may not hold an additional appointment for the duration of your assistantship with First-Year Programs.
- 20 hours per week; adjusted by academic schedule, programming needs, and approval of supervisors.
- More information can be found in the Graduate Handbook available online at gradschool.utk.edu.
Anticipated Start Date:
- June 1, 2020