Department of University Housing
Number of Vacancies: 1
Department Website: housing.utk.edu
Separate application: https://housing.utk.edu/graduate-assistantships/
Department Mission Statement: Our mission is to foster positive, student-centered residential communities supporting the academic mission of the university. We provide a defining experience for students through programs and amenities that facilitate individual learning and development. University Housing’s value and services enhance the overall university student experience.
- Previous residence hall living experience, or other student affairs leadership experience.
- Admitted into and making positive progress toward a graduate or professional program at the University of Tennessee.
- Enrolled in no more than 12 credit hours.
- Not permitted to be placed as Area Graduate Assistant if student teaching and/or co-ops/internships require a staff member to be off-site for more than 2 days/4 half-days/or 16 hours a week during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm).
- Not permitted to be placed as Area Graduate Assistant if working toward the following academic degrees: Master of Business Administration, Law, School Counseling, Master of Education Teaching, Social Work, Audiology, or Speech Pathology.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Maintains area budgets for residence halls and hall associations, including processing all reimbursement and advanced fund requests as well as all reconciliations. Complete accurate budgetary records will be kept for RA Programming, Staff Development, and Hall Associations for each hall.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with the Student Organizations Business Office.
- Attends and contributes to weekly area staff meetings.
- Completes monthly one-on-one meetings with Area Assistant Director.
- Works cooperatively with the Area ASA III to keep the area resource office stocked with programming and community-building supplies for resident assistants and hall association officers.
- Completes at least 20 hours per week in direct job-related functions: 14 hours of consistent office hours in the Area Office, 3 hours for area and hall staff meetings, 1 hour for committee work, 1 hour of RA program attendance, and 1 hour of check distribution with the Student Organizations Business Office.
- Assists in the budgetary and programming training of Resident Assistants.
- Knows and interacts regularly with area Resident Assistants. This includes attending 1 staff meeting for each staff per semester (6 total) and 2 RA programs per staff each semester (12 total).
- Communicates regularly with area staff members through Facebook, newsletters and other media.
- Supports and enforces all university and departmental policies and regulations.
- Works collaboratively with Head Staff, Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and the University Police to carry out university conduct process.
- Initiates and secures search authorizations and conducts room searches as required.
- Actively attends and participates in departmental committees as required.
- Attends and actively participates in departmental meetings.
- Works in cooperation with other Head Staff to provide 24-hour on-call Area Coverage and is available to work in halls that remain open during university breaks.
- Monthly stipend ($1325.00 as of December 2018, amount subject to change).
- On-campus housing and meal plan are provided. This is a live-on/live-in position, living on campus in provided housing is required.
- Tuition is waived and graduate student health insurance is provided as part of your Graduate Assistantship.
- 20-30 hours a week, 9-month at-will appointment
- Position involves some night (after 5pm on weekdays) and weekend work.
- Start date end of July 2019