Department of University Housing
Number of Vacancies: 7-10
Department Website: housing.utk.edu
Separate application: housing.utk.edu/graduate-assistantships/
Department Mission Statement: Our mission is to foster positive, student-centered residential communities supporting the academic mission of the university. We provide a defining experience for students through programs and amenities that facilitate individual learning and development. University Housing’s value and services enhance the overall university student experience.
- Previous residence hall living experience, or other student affairs leadership experience.
- Admitted into and be making positive progress toward a graduate or professional program at the University of Tennessee.
- Enrolled in no more than 12 credit hours.
- Not permitted to be placed as Area GAs if student teaching and/or co-ops/internships require a staff member to be off-site for more than 2 days/4 half-days/or 16 hours a week during regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm).
- Not permitted to be placed as AHDs if they are working toward the following academic degrees: Master of Business Administration, Law, School Counseling, Master of Education Training, Social Work, Audiology, or Speech Pathology.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Assumes responsibility for hall in the absence of the Hall Director. The HD or AHD must stay in the building each night.
- Assists in the development and execution of hall procedures and goals.
- Assists in conducting staff meetings.
- Provides direct supervision of desk assistant staff, including selection, training, evaluation, and reviewing and approving employee time in Kronos.
- Obtain and schedule desk coverage for Office Assistant hours.
- Assists in the recruiting, training, supervision, and evaluation of Resident Assistants.
- Serves as an advisor and resource to the Hall Association to assist them with the planning of community, academic, and personal development programs.
- Supports and enforces all university and departmental policies and regulations.
- Works collaboratively with the Hall Director, Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, and the University Police to carry out university judicial procedures.
- Initiates and secures search authorizations and conducts room searches as required.
- Attends and actively participates in departmental and committee meetings.
- Works in cooperation with other Head Staff to provide 24-hour on-call Area Coverage and is available to work in halls that remain open during university breaks.
- Co-instruct one session of the Resident Assistant Training class in the spring semester.
- $1,325.00 per month stipend
- Full tuition waiver (including out-of-state tuition)
- On-campus housing and meal plan are provided. This is a live-on/live-in position, living on campus in provided housing is required
- Tuition is waived and graduate student health insurance is provided as part of your Graduate Assistantship.
- 20-30 hours a week, 9-month at-will appointment
- Position involves night (after 5pm on weekdays) and weekend work.
- Start date at the end of July 2019