Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Consumer Information & Student Right to Know

In compliance with Title IV and other federal and state disclosure laws, below is a list of consumer information that is available as well as links to directly access the information. Prospective and current students may contact the respective office or the Office of the Dean of Students for assistance in obtaining the information.

General Information

Student Handbook

Campus Facilities

Suicide Prevention

The University of Tennessee is committed to supporting the emotional well-being of all students, faculty, and staff. UT has partnered with the JED Foundation to become a JED Campus and work toward the creation of a campus-wide plan to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide. A variety of resources are available for people at risk for suicide, such as the Student Counseling Center for students and 865-946-CARE for faculty and staff. Remember, if there is an immediate life-threatening situation, call 911 or contact the UT Police Department at 865-974-3111 first.

Anyone concerned about a Vol can call the Center for Care and Resilience at 865-974-HELP (student concern) or 865-946-CARE (faculty or staff concern) for assistance. For additional resources and information about community suicide prevention training opportunities, contact the Student Counseling Center.

Campus Safety

Policy & Title IX

The University of Tennessee is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and nondiscriminatory learning, living, and working environment free from sexual harassment (including sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking), sexual exploitation, and retaliation (collectively, “Prohibited Conduct”).

Prohibited Conduct will not be tolerated and will be grounds for disciplinary action up to and including permanent dismissal from the university. We strongly encourage those who have experienced Prohibited Conduct to promptly report the incident to the Office of Title IX or the UT Police Department.

Reporting an incident to the university does not obligate you to pursue university discipline or criminal prosecution. Reporting an incident to the university ensures you can access supportive measures and resources. Contact information for reporting options and confidential resources can be found at the Title IX website.

Divisive concepts law

Tennessee Code Annotated 49-7-1904 requires public institutions of higher education to notify students about the restrictions and definitions of the original divisive concepts statute and subsequent amendment. Students can learn more through the UT System information page on the divisive concepts law.

Parent Notification

In compliance with Tennessee law, the University of Tennessee will inform parents or guardians when any student under the age of 21 is found responsible for a violation of any policy governing the use, possession, and/or distribution of alcohol or illegal drugs.

Direct questions or inquiries to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards at 865-974-3171 or

Faculty and Instructional Personnel

Campus Free Speech


Financial Aid

Services for Students with Disabilities


Drug Free Schools & Communities Act

The Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act requires the university to distribute a notice to all employees and students information about our drug and alcohol prevention efforts. The university prohibits the unlawful use, manufacture, possession, distribution, or dispensing of drugs and alcohol on university property or during university activities. Violation of this policy is grounds for disciplinary action as well as legal prosecution.

Information regarding the standards of conduct prohibiting drug and alcohol use, as well as possible sanctions, is available in the Student Code of Conduct.

Information regarding the health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and alcohol abuse as well as programs and resources to address drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, or rehabilitation can be found at the Center for Health Education and Wellness.

Peer to Peer File Sharing

Missing Student Policy

Underage Drinking and Associated Responsibilities

  • The Tennessee General Assembly passed new legislation regarding underage drinking and associated responsibilities. The law prohibits any resident, owner, or occupant of property (the social host) from allowing an underage adult to consume alcohol on such property. The legislation defines “underage adults” as those individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years of age but less than twenty-one (21) years of age.
  • A resident may face criminal prosecution and university sanction if an underage adult consumes alcohol on his or her property which includes, but is not limited to, a residence hall room or apartment, fraternity- or sorority-affiliated housing, an off-campus house or apartment, or any other property owned or occupied by the individual.
  • More information from the Center for Health Education and Wellness about alcohol

Student Life Complaints & Comments

The Division of Student Life welcomes your comments or complaints related to our division. Each area within the Division of Student Life has a link on its web page that allows you to offer feedback and complaints. You also can access the complaint form on the division web page. All complaints are anonymous, unless you choose to include your name and contact information. If a follow-up response is expected, your name and contact information are required.