Bearing the Torch Beyond Campus

Lindsay Davis, Coordinator of Family Engagement

In the spring of 2023, Lindsay Davis, coordinator for Family Engagement in the Office of the Dean of Students, was honored with Student Life’s Community Service Award. This award recognizes someone who is actively engaged in the Knoxville community, regularly volunteering with local or national organizations, as well as local schools, churches, and more. Davis shares about her commitment to volunteering and what it means to her to be a Volunteer for Life.

Being recognized for my service in the Knoxville community caught me by surprise because serving my community has been second nature to me for as long as I can remember. As a Knoxville native, I have benefited from the investment of others and in turn have sought ways to give back to the community that has given so much to me. When I decided to return to Knoxville, it was important for me to find ways to involve myself in my community. Being idle wasn’t an option for me; I knew my mother and mentors would expect me to share my time and talents outside of my work at UT.

With so many ways to offer time and talents to the Knoxville community it can be hard sometimes to decide how to serve. For me, what’s important is identifying one passion and service related to that passion. It could be a one-time event or an ongoing commitment, but being passionate about the work you’re contributing to is important.

Lindsay Davis with sorority sister and principal of Beaumont Elementary School after welcoming students for their first day of school.

As a legacy Vol, I have witnessed my mother, VFL ‘95, serve our community graciously whether it was through our church, sorority, or personal interests.

My mother modeled what it means to be a UT Volunteer long before I became one myself.

Oftentimes I find myself participating in service projects alongside her, whether it’s volunteering with our sorority sisters in Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. or through our involvement with Girl Talk, Inc. My mom’s enthusiasm and commitment to these organizations inspired me to find a way to get connected in one of their many programs.

Serving as a career coach in the Life Prep Academy through Girl Talk Inc. has allowed me to invest in the lives of young women as they prepare for their next steps post-high school. I often credit my success and growth to my mentors and sponsors who took the time to pour into me. Because of them, I am empowered to share my wisdom, experiences, and resources with other young women.

Lindsay Davis poses with her mom, Tara Davis (’95), at a UT Alumni event.

I have enjoyed serving in this capacity because it aligns my professional expertise with my personal interest in youth development and mentorship. I have the opportunity to support my mentee as she explores her post-secondary options by creating an action plan to meet her goals and deadlines.

Embodying the Volunteer Creed has empowered me to find ways outside of UT to bear the torch, impacting my community and paying forward the growth I’ve experienced because of others.