The Professional Fellowship program provides full-time Student Life staff with the opportunity to gain professional experience in a different department or functional area in Student Life and beyond.
As a result of this experience, we hope that you will:
- expand your knowledge in a new unit, by supporting programs and/or initiatives, conducting research/assessment, and/or contributing to meetings and collaborative efforts important to you and to the host department.
- fill potential gaps in your resume to assist in the development of your professional path.
- You must be a full-time employee (minimum of one year by the start of the fellowship). A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but it is not required.
- Ability to dedicate four to six hours per week. Hours depend on your goals and objectives and the mentor’s ability to host the staff member. If you approved, you will have release time from your primary role to fulfill this time expectation.
- A current resume.
- Prior to applying, you must have the approval of your department director/head and Associate/Assistant Vice Chancellor.
- Identify a mentor in the department/unit that you are interested in completing your fellowship. You must have the approval of a department mentor and mentor’s department director (if separate people) before submitting an application. If you are unsure of who to approach to serve as a mentor, please ask your immediate supervisor/director/AVC for advice – they will be great resources in this process.
- The fellowship must be consistent with your demonstrated interest and professional goals. Your career plans and goals must fall within the scope of administration in higher education.
|Fellowship Begin Date:||Application Due Date:|
|May 2022 (Summer)||Monday, May 9|
Additional fellowships will be awarded in future semesters and the application will reflect those dates in the future.
Previous Fellowship Host Offices
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Life
Student Conduct & Community Standards
Assessment & Strategic Initiatives
Student Disability Services
Dean of Students Office/974-HELP
|Spring 2021||Summer 2021|
|Yasja Hemmings, University Housing||Michael Corder, RecSports|
|Sean Basso, RecSports||Jennifer Pierce Thomas, Office of Sorority & Fraternity Life|
|Kailyn Jennings, RecSports||Alyssa Franck, University Housing|
|Sarah Boertje, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Life|
Questions? Contact Jill Zambito at email@example.com
“My professional fellowship has been the highlight of my semester. I’ve gained valuable knowledge in a whole new area of Student Life, while also applying my skills to enhancing functional elements in that area. The experience gained through the fellowship is directly applicable to the role I serve in my department. Additionally, I’ve developed a meaningful relationship with my mentor that will surely last beyond my time as a fellow. In short, it’s well worth the time it takes if you’re looking to grow and improve as a professional.” -Sean Basso